What is Religion?

Pardon me if I say "I do not understand this word RELIGION!". But honestly I do not. I have lived almost thirty years of my life, and all I know about it is a few learnt hymns and prayers, and yes a fact that there is a superpower..GOD watching us all the time. Now I know, the first thing you are going to do is check my name and relate it to a Religion. Different Religions will shape a different opinion in your mind. Isn't it? A Christian would be to outspoken, a Hindu to superstitious, a Sikh to fanatic and a Muslim too conservative!
So,back to my question again... WHAT IS RELIGION?
Since ages I have been fighting my inner demon which wants to get up and question the religion heads about why they do a particular ceremony...or why they do it the way they do it! But I would not dare ask them,else I would be regarded as a total Atheist or a blasphemous!
Is Religion all about burning candles, attending mid night vigils?
Or is it about praying five times a day and fasting for many days?
Is it singing Hymns ,taking a dip in the Holy water and following all Religious Protocols?
Does wearing of a particular colour, or keeping your hair, or being a nun or a priest...justify as being RELIGIOUS?
I don't think so!

But sadly,this has become RELIGION. it is not about GOD, or LOVE or TOLERANCE any more. It does not care whether you are HONEST or UPRIGHT ... It's about what should be done..and how it should be done.
Instead of focusing on the spirit of Christmas, we focus on the decorations of the church and our homes...
Instead of knowing the real meaning of Diwali...we are more concerned about our shopping list!
Instead of understanding GURUPURAB ...we are much caught up with sending across messages and hosting grand community kitchen for Langar.
Instead of being connected to the spirit of Id we are worried about the dinner to be held and guest lists!
What is wrong with us!?
IS this RELIGION? If yes,I am sorry...I don't understand any of it..

Why should I be decorating the Temples and churches and not bring food to a beggar?
Why should I be serving and cleaning utensils at the Gurudwara and not picking a utensil at my home!

Out of all the years I have been lectured by my parents and attended Religious ceremonies(sometimes out of force,sometimes to keep somebody's heart and sometimes because I wanted to!) I have understood just this that RELIGION is all about YOU BEING A GOOD HUMAN BEING.
It's not about your dress or your hair.  Whether you bow to a statue or a scripture, whether you pray or don't pray....Nothing matters..All that counts is HOW HUMAN YOU ARE IN A DAY.
Do you care enough to not HURT anyone with your words?
Do you understand how it feels to be SHOUTED at?
Do you feel MOVED when you see a beggar?
Do you feel SORRY for all the hate and Killings going on all around the world?
Do you accept your mistake and readily say SORRY?
Do you FORGIVE and FORGET?
Do you LOVE? LOVE with all your heart?

I have been trying to do all this and be a HUMAN...but I fail... and when during the night I assess my day I see how miserably I fail at just being a GOOD HUMAN.
I don't understand RELIGION my friends.... I really don't....
And I am so happy to be ignorant of this word RELIGION..because all I want to focus upon is being a HUMAN first... A GOOD HUMAN...











Comments

  1. kudos margaret ! i second u...humanity is the real religion.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Punjab Burning!